Monday 21 April 2014

Technical Journal Week 8 - Clavicle Aim constraint to IK

From the continuation of last week, this week i decided to be a little more ambitious. You got that right, having the shoulder control move with the IK arm so I don't really have to animate both! As
I recall, this was actually tested on my last semester's character and sadly it didn't work out too well. So I decided to try it again since I am dealing with non-organic character this time around.



Rotating FK clavicle ctrl


So after much thought of experimenting and failed, I decided to actually have two clavicle controls, one for the FK and the other for the IK.

I decided on this because after trying out with one clavicle controller it seemed to have a clash. Taking that I parent the shoulder control to the clavicle control and aimed constraint it to the IK, whenever i move the IK the FK it would follow exactly where the IK is in space. This was an issue as i foresee a problem with animation when I switch between IK and FK. For example, when the FK shoulder control is rotated in the opposite direction and the FK clavicle follow the IK wrist control, switching between IK and FK will tentatively complicate the placement of IK and FK.

Hence, after this complications I decided to go with 2 clavicle controls for each, IK and FK. This is how it turns out when I rotate the clavicle for IK and FK.


Rotating IK Clavicle ctrl

Well, so far so good. Assure as it looks, I went ahead to test out poses.




Everything seems to be fine. The switch between IK and FK works as it should so far, theoretically I suppose. However, problems started to happen when I move the pole vector controls in awkward position.



I began to twist the pose more extremely, it still worked fine. Until the pole vector and this happened. Switching between IK and FK twisted the clavicle around. I checked the local rotation axis but to no avail it didn't solve the problem. I even created the locator behind the clavicle control to use as reference for the world up vector when aim constraint. After hours of testing and trying out different methods, using offset and etc. I decided to just scrap it and rig it the conventional way. Guess I'll leave this one a mystery until I have time to get back on it! Moving on~

No comments:

Post a Comment